Friday, June 05, 2009

Interracial couples

Today while reading the Yahoo headlines I read, Dating 101: Dealing with the RACE fact. Which lead me to a little investigating. I wondered just what the definition of interracial was. In doing so I found that we all have our own ideas just what that is.

The most basic definition I found was: A relationship between people of different races.
OK, that seems straight forward but what exactly are the races. Caucasians for example are whites right? Is an American Caucasian the same as a Greek Caucasian or an Italian Caucasian or Hispanic Caucasian?

I read several posts and articles on the WWW that left me as confused as I was when I began my search for an answer. Here I read a post from a couple that some might consider interracial however I would have just considered intercultural. I always wondered just what others thought of Bob and I. He is Caucasian and I'm Hispanic. Whenever we or should I say I got those stares I thought it was because people in our Southern state confused me for black or mixed due to my olive coloring and their ignorance. Now I'm not so sure that is the case. This article seems to lean to more acceptance of racial mixing with Hispanics and whites and Asians and whites over blacks and whites.

Truth is I guess it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. We've been married for over 25 years now and though we have both made many mistakes (like most couples in a long marriage) we are still going strong.

No comments: