Thursday, April 27, 2006

From attempt to murder....

to this. How does an organization for our all time favorite pastime refuse to help our enlisted men/women, an organization that also resides in the city that received the most devastation on 911. Wait let me explain. You see a good friend of mine Karen Santi has been her entire life a supporter of the enlisted and of veterans. She has supported them in many ways. From letters of encouragement to fulfilling their requests for items from home and so much more. I'm sharing with you an email I received from Karen, with her permission, in an effort to fill the wish of one of the troops that she is supporting. It was a simple wish and one you would think could easily have been supplied by one of our countries richest organizations. Read on:


Hello,

Let me please start by saying I am sorry for bringing this to your doorstep, honestly I didn't know who else to turn to. I am so disappointed in Major League Baseball right now, I may never go to another game. Let me give you a very shortened version of the story. I am currently trying to help to support a deployed unit of the US Army's 4th Division. All they have actually said they would like to have is baseball gloves. These are 18 - 25 year old boys, that for the most part are out of this country for the very first time. These special young men have decided that they would like to play baseball in the very little down time that they get, it would not only give them something to do, but it would also bring them all memories of home.

As I had already asked for help from, with absolutely no response at all, the local AAA and Major League teams, (The Baltimore orioles, Frederick Keys, and the Iron Birds) I thought I would contact the MLB Players Association. Which I did; I left a voice mail for Ms. Melissa Persaud explaining who I was trying to help, and what they had requested (some old used baseball gloves). And that, while I couldn't afford to buy 20 used mitts, I'd be more than happy to pay the cost of shipping them to Iraq if she could just direct me to where she thought I could get them donated from. The very next day an assistant of Ms. Persaud called me back. She explained that Ms. Persaud was still going to be out of the office, but she wanted to make sure my call was returned. She directed me to contact Ms. Kathy Bradley in the Commissioners Office, who was a part of a program to bring baseball equipment to those that can't get it.

Today I received my return call from Ms. Bradley, almost a week later, I guess I should just feel grateful that I even managed to get one. Ms Bradley was exceedingly curt and rude. She more or less told me to get a local sporting goods store to donate the gloves to the soldiers of the 1/10th Cavalry, or I should purchase them myself. It seemed to me that she was offended in just having to return my call.
Being a former New Yorker, I was quite taken aback by her attitude; especially, since I explained who I was trying to help. Needless to say, I am currently beyond disgusted with Major League Baseball. However, while I have shared this story with you, I would never let the young men that are risking their lives on a daily basis know what has transpired.

Well I just wanted to let someone know how very wonderful, and patriotic, our "National Pastime" participants are. I will be taking my next paycheck to buy 20 used mitts, and ship them to Iraq. I have the support of my husband and children in this. For at least they think those that stand in harms way to protect our freedoms are more important than their own needs. I can honestly say that my family and I shall never walk into a baseball stadium again. Perhaps the 30+ people I have sent this to will feel the same.

Sincerely,
Karen Santi

I of course along with many others on Karen's email list offered to help in whatever way possible. She of course refused the help but did allow me to share her e-mail with you all in an effort to let you all know just how easily and quickly some in NYC have forgotten what happened on 911. How the very men that are asking for some gloves, balls and bats to enjoy what little down time they have are the same men or I should say boys as most are so very, very young risking their lives to protect us from that same sort of action.

I'm wondering if , MM or any of you with any pull or knowledge of how to persuade this organization or any others to support these men I'd appreciate any help you can offer. MM, I don't mean to put you on the spot my friend I just know how very persuasive you can be and I'm sure you feel the same way I do about these young men and women risking life and limb for the general population. Even something as simple as some kind words for the troop would be wonderful. I'm sure Karen will gladly forward them on to those in need of a reminder that we are behind them. I don't know about you, but it is my belief that no matter what your stance is on the war we have to be behind these men and women. Many of them don't believe in the war but do their jobs to protect us regardless. They all deserve our respect and our support.

I'm not now nor never have been a baseball fan nor of any other organized sport so suffice to say I won't be going to any baseball games now nor in the future. What you can be sure of is that I will tell anyone and everyone willing to listen this story. I talk a whole lot and many will hear this story. I hope you too will pass it on.


For some reason I'm unable to make the link above for MM's site to work for me today. So for those that want to go there... go to www.masthead.blogspot.com copy and paste that in your web browser.

2 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Unknown said...

Well Alex ty for stopping by