Monday, March 20, 2006

Proud new homeshooler

After a disappointing start in the local public school and after much discussion, Bob and I made the decision to homeschool Brandon. I am not new to homeschooling as I did it for a while with Shaun, Jackie and Nickie. I'm a lot less stressed with it this time and I'm not sure if that is because I have some experience with it or because I'm homeschooling just one child this time.

I'm excited about this journey we have embarked. Everyday is new and exciting. I've met up with a local homeschool group that meets weekly for the children to play and for the mom's to have time to discuss homeschooling and whatever else comes to mind. These women are fantastic! They are so very diverse. I'm learning so much from their different styles and points of view. Who da thunk that I could teach and enjoy it? Yeah I know what some of you are thinking, "God, help that child!" or "What makes her think she can do this?" Well, I know that we will both learn as we go along and I have the support of a great group of women and I will also have the support of my chosen curriculum.

Today Brandon has taken the first part of his CAT (California achievement Test) and we will complete it tomorrow. When we receive the results of that testing I fully expect that he will have passed it with flying colors. We will then be taking some testing to determine the most appropriate levels for each subject to continue his homeschool path. He is a bright boy and an excellent reader. He's very hands on and loves building things with leggos and magnetics and such. This is the reason I've decided to use the Math U See curriculum for Brandon. I just have to find exactly where he is now to determine what level to begin using.

At our next meeting with the homeschool group and with their permission I'd like to get some pictures of the mom's and the kids.

No comments: